- Are you over 45 years of age?
- Have you a phobia about computers and the internet but secretly always wanted to learn more?
- Do you like things that are ABSOLUTELY FREE?
- Are you interested in helping Rathcormac National School
If the answer to the above questions is “YES” then read on…
The Parents Association in Rathcormac National School (in conjunction with the Department of Communications, Climate Action and Environment and Sligo LEADER Partnership) are running FREE basic digital skills training classes, where citizens will learn the skills they need to use and enjoy the many benefits that using the internet offers.
What will I learn?
Training classes will include the following:
- An introduction to the internet;
- How to use websites – Google, Newspapers, Train,Buses, Met Eireann, RTE,Ocean FM etc.
- How to send & receive Emails;
- Using online government services i.e. Motor Tax, Passports etc.
- Using online banking services;
- How to use “Apps” i.e. weather, news
- How to use Social Media i.e. Skype, Facebook, Twitter;
- Online Shopping.
Each person attending these classes will receive 10 hours free classroom training, located in Rathcormac National School. A computer or laptop will be provided for use during each class or if you prefer you can bring your own device i.e. smartphone, tablet or laptop.
How are the training classes structured?
Who will the trainers be?
So – this is the bit where you can help Rathcormac National School.
All of the trainers will be local members of the community (for example members of the Parents Association, parents from the school, transition year students (they know more than anyone!).
They will give their time for free and in return, the Department will pay €40 for every citizen who completes the 10 hours – and this money will go directly to the Parents Association in Rathcormac National School, and will be used to fund those little ‘extras’ like – school tours, new books, friend bench for the school-yard, school garden etc.
The proposed class dates and times are as follows:
- 10am – 12am Saturday 10 February;
- 10am – 12am Saturday 17 February;
- 10am – 12am Saturday 24 February;
- 10am – 12am Saturday 3 March;
- 10am – 12am Saturday 10 March.
If you are interested in the above and would like to put your name down to reserve a place or if you would like to know more… please contact either Ruth Campbell on 087 9073968 or Gillian Watters on 086 2079427